January 2, 2013
Last year was a big year for me—I intersected two of my favorite things (coffee + drawing), traveled all over the US and Europe, and in September, my wife and I moved to Italy.
I’ve met a ton of great people this past year, and have been humbled by the support of many within the coffee industry. I never would have thought that something like doodling would take me anywhere, but it’s given me an interesting ride since last January, and has put me on a pretty exciting path. To be completely honest, when I started doing these filter doodles, one of my first goals was to make it onto the DCILY website—something that is a bit funny and embarrassing, but a real testament to all that Dear Coffee, I Love You entails.
Here are some (coffee related) highlights for me in 2012 (in no particular order):
1. Multiple collaborations with Clive Coffee—a video project, as well as providing the illustrations for “The Craft of Espresso.”
2. Artist Series Poster project with Able Brewing
3. Collaboration with Batdorf & Bronson and Kaldi’s Coffee on the “Collabrewation” blend
4. Mug and T-Shirt designs for Kuma Coffee
5. T-Shirt design for Cup Coffee in Australia
6. T-Shirt design for 40 Weight Coffee
7. Design for the Flatlander’s Barista Cup
8. Organized and competed in the Northeast Regional AeroPress Championship
9. Attended “Coffee Con 2012” and heard fantastic presentations from Geoff Watts and George Howell
10. Appearances on DCILY and Sprudge
11. Coffee tours of both Seattle and Portland
I trust that 2012 held excitement for you as well, and that you can point to the areas in your life and craft—whatever it may be—that you’re proud of. Here’s a doodle to bring in the new year.
Clive Coffee’s Ethiopia Yirgacheffe